Re: Styling based on instance data

Greetings Mark, OK I see where you are coming from and headed.

The difficulty with going too far down the track you are headed is that
the kind of state you envisage should really be part of the "data model"
and manifest itself a a formal part of the schema. Unfortunately, as we
know XML Schema does not support this kind of derived property.

Ideally, the notion that a book is overdue should not be just a form
consideration.

Regards, Roland

"Mark Birbeck" <mark.birbeck@x-port.net>
Sent by: mark.birbeck@gmail.com
08/12/2006 12:30
Please respond to
mark.birbeck@x-port.net

Roland Merrick/UK/IBM@IBMGB
cc
www-forms <www-forms@w3.org>, www-forms-request@w3.org
Subject
Re: Styling based on instance data

Hi Roland,

:)

I was only saying that I was searching for a solution that allowed
states to be re-used, and should we find one, it would be "a very
powerful and efficient declarative programming model". So, I wasn't
suggesting that your solution _wasn't_ declarative.

I'll explain though, with your examples. You say that we can indicate
that some books are 'overdue' with this:

  <xf:bind id="overdue" nodeset="books/book" state="today() &gt; @due" />

It's true that we've now indicated that the set of books identified by
"books/book" have a state of 'overdue'. But what if we add some other
books to our application:

  <books>
    <toread>
      <book />
    </toread>
    <read>
      <book />
      <book />
    </read>
  </books>

In the model I'm suggesting, I would like to say that "a book is
overdue" in just the same way that currently we can say "a person is
readonly" or "a company is required". But if we use IDs to name the
states in the way that you suggest, we'd need to create a new state
for each data collection:

  <xf:bind id="toread-overdue" nodeset="books/toread/book"
state="today() &gt; @due" />
  <xf:bind id="read-overdue" nodeset="books/read/book" state="today()
&gt; @due" />

And so on.

The way I was thinking about 'state' was that if some organisation had
a concept of 'overdue' that they applied across many applications,
then it would be great to be able to capture that. So, perhaps we
could do something like this:

  <xf:state id="overdue" />

  <xf:bind nodeset="books/toread/book" mip:overdue="..." />
  <xf:bind nodeset="books/read/book" mip:overdue="..." />

Now that the concept is nailed down and named, everyone can converse
about it; for example the designers can use a well-know CSS style when
laying out the site or applications, the business analysts can say
what the expressions should be for each type of data, and so on. The
latter is interesting since now we could say that some books are not
overdue if the person has a gold pass, whilst others are always
overdue, no matter what.

Anyway, I'm not saying that's the answer--only that it's the notion of
a 'named state' that I'm trying to capture, just like we already have
'named states' like readonly, out-of-range, required, and so on.

On 08/12/06, Roland Merrick <roland_merrick@uk.ibm.com> wrote:

> Greetings Mark, I'm a little confused. In what way doesn't it fail to
meet your needs? It doesn't seem that different to your original
suggestion. If I understand correctly, you suggested a "state" in :

> <xf:bind nodeset="books/book" overdue="today() &gt; @due" />
>
> with a name of xf:overdue which is of style boolean. With a variation to
allow any attribute such as mip:overdue.

> The CSS would then be bound to the state of those variables.
>
> I thought I was suggesting something similar but the state would be
qualified by the ID of the bind, so the style would be more like:

>        #overdue:state-on { color: red; }
>
> So I do not see any intrinsic difference or why it would not fit within
"a very powerful and efficient declarative programming model". As you
know, declarative programming is something I strongly believe in!

>  Regards, Roland
>

>  "Mark Birbeck" <mark.birbeck@x-port.net>
> Sent by: mark.birbeck@gmail.com
>
> 08/12/2006 10:20
>
> Please respond to
>  mark.birbeck@x-port.net
>

> To Roland Merrick/UK/IBM@IBMGB
>
> cc www-forms <www-forms@w3.org>, www-forms-request@w3.org
>

> Subject Re: Styling based on instance data
>

> Hi Roland,
>
>  That's a neat idea, but it doesn't create reusable 'states', which is
>  what I'd like to see, and which I think would make for a very powerful
>  and efficient declarative programming model.
>
>  Regards,
>
>  Mark
>
>  On 07/12/06, Roland Merrick <roland_merrick@uk.ibm.com> wrote:
>  >
>  > Greetings Mark, I acrefully avoided the how in my response I was just
describing another use case.
>  >
>  > However, on the subject of how I tend to agree with the approach you
describe. XForms 1.0 had a restriction that there could only be one MIP of
a particular types associated with an instance data node. This was
reasonable for all the MIPs except @constraint but kept the rule simple.
>  >
>  > I would like to see the restriction of a single @constraint being
lifted and at the same time introduce a new attribute along the lines you
suggest that there can also be multiples of. This would allow an author to
specify multiple constraints and multiple states that can be used for
"styling".
>  >
>  >   <xf:bind id="overdue" nodeset="books/book" state="today() &gt;
@due" />
>  >
>  > If I then wanted to add another state, for eample hardcover vs
softcover I could do that as well without a need to touch the original
binding.
>  >
>  >   <xf:bind id="cover" nodeset="books/book" state="@cover = 'hard'" />
>  >
>  > The styles would then be linked to the MIP@state of a particular bind
ID.
>  >
>  >  Regards, Roland
>  >  Tel/Fax: +44 (0)1926-465440
>  >  Mobile: +44 (0)77 2520-0620
>  >
>  >
>  >
>  >  "Mark Birbeck" <mark.birbeck@x-port.net>
>  > Sent by: www-forms-request@w3.org
>  >
>  > 01/12/2006 15:40
>  >
>  > Please respond to
>  >  mark.birbeck@x-port.net
>  >
>  >
>  > To www-forms <www-forms@w3.org>
>  >
>  > cc www-forms-request@w3.org
>  >
>  > Subject Re: Styling based on instance data
>  >
>  >
>  >
>  >
>  >
>  >
>  >
>  >
>  >
>  >  Hi Roland,
>  >
>  >  > I would agree that there are cases where styling dependent
>  >  > on the value would be useful. A situation I have encountered is
the need to style
>  >  > negative numbers differently to positive numbers.
>  >
>  >  We could still keep this as styling based on 'state' though, with
>  >  negative and positive being different states. Myself and Paul
Butcher