From: www-forms-request@w3.org [mailto:www-forms-request@w3.org] On Behalf
Of T.V Raman
Sent: 25 August 2006 00:14
To: ebruchez@orbeon.com
Cc: www-forms@w3.org
Subject: Re: url params et al

Great!

This is even more implementation evidence that AVTs are A) useful, and B)
implementable and C) tractable. I suggest that all the implementors who have
built it so far write down details of what works in the form of spec ready
text so that later implementations know what to do to stay interoperable.

Erik Bruchez writes:

 > Raman,
 >
 > For what it's worth, Orbeon PresentationServer also implements AVTs in  >
places like xf:submission/@action now, and we plan tot support them in  >
the host language as well (some code is already in place) :-)  >  > -Erik  >
> T.V Raman wrote:
 > >
 > > Oh Great!
 > >
 > > This is the first time I'm hearing about an AVT implementation in  > >
the context of XForms --cudos to you for doing this!

 > > Now, Mark Birbeck -- your turn -- implement AVT in FormsPlayer  > > ---
and if Aaron  can implement it in Firefox we'll be done.

 > > Joern Turner writes:
 > >  >
 > >  > T.V Raman wrote:
 > >  > >
 > >  > > Well, for the client or server agnostic solution, same  > >  > >
three-letter incantation -- AVT  > >  >  > >  > that's the other variant
Chiba supports. So the following expression  > >  > will also work  > >  >
> >  > <xf:submission action="http://somehost/{/data/nextUrl}" .../>  > >  >
> >  > provides that there's a default instance like this:
 > >  > <xf:instance xmlns="">
 > >  >    <data>
 > >  >      <nextUrl>somepage.html</nextUrl>
 > >  >    </data>
 > >  > </xf:instance>
 > >  >
 > >  > Joern
 > >  >
 > >  > >
 > >  > > Mark Birbeck writes:
 > >  > >  >
 > >  > >  > Jason,
 > >  > >  >
 > >  > >  > Glad that works for you...but that's a server-side solution, so
it  > >  > >  > falls into the first category I outlined, such as ASP, JSP,
PHP, etc.
 > >  > >  > Chiba is doing the substitution for you.
 > >  > >  >
 > >  > >  > I'm not saying this isn't useful, just that I'd like to see a
solution  > >  > >  > where you could do this even if you were running a
form locally on  > >  > >  > your machine, with no server.
 > >  > >  >
 > >  > >  > Regards,
 > >  > >  >
 > >  > >  > Mark
 > >  > >  >
 > >  > >  >
 > >  > >  > On 24/08/06, Jason <jeacott@hardlight.com.au> wrote:
 > >  > >  > > argh -next time I'll read the doco first!
 > >  > >  > > I'm using Chiba and it already has a way of handling this
very much  > >  > >  > > along the lines described by Mark. DOH!
 > >  > >  > > -if you are interested in their resolution its described in
the chiba  > >  > >  > > cookbook, or the short version in the chiba FAQ  >
>  > >  > >  > >  > >  > > thanks again to all that helped - I'll now be
using the chiba specific  > >  > >  > > solution just because in this case
its very simple and unobtrusive.
 > >  > >  > >
 > >  > >  > > "specifiy a parameter on the GET string calling the form.
This parameter  > >  > >  > > say 'foo' may then be used on the URI-string
such as <submission  > >  > >  > > action="http://yourhost/{foo}" .../>. The
value of 'foo' will be  > >  > >  > > substituted for the expression {foo}
then. "
 > >  > >  > >
 > >  > >  > > *note there are more elaborate mechanisms for handling
arbitrary numbers  > >  > >  > > of named params, potentially (I think) from
multiple sources.
 > >  > >  > >
 > >  > >  > > Regards
 > >  > >  > > Jason.
 > >  > >  > >
 > >  > >  > >
 > >  > >  > >
 > >  > >  > > Klotz, Leigh wrote:
 > >  > >  > > > I think this processing rightfully belongs on the server,
as the URI  > >  > >  > > > specifies the resource, and the server is
responsible for providing you  > >  > >  > > > the resource.
 > >  > >  > > > I'm not sure what XForms processor you're using, but in
browsers that  > >  > >  > > > support JavaScript handlers, you can ask the
browser what the page URI  > >  > >  > > > was (via the location property).
www-forms-request@w3.org [mailto:www-forms-request@w3.org] On  > >  > >  > >
> Behalf Of Jason  > >  > >  > > > Sent: Tuesday, August 22, 2006 11:46 PM
> >  > >  > > > To: www-forms@w3.org  > >  > >  > > > Subject: url params et
al  > >  > >  > > >  > >  > >  > > >  > >  > >  > > > Hi all -I think I'm
going quietly mad. I have a small problem that I  > >  > >  > > > haven't
had to deal with via xforms before (I think) and cant seem to  > >  > >  > >
> see the solution - it must be easy, I'm sure of it.
 > >  > >  > > > I need to launch an xform with a given data id passed as an
url  > >  > >  > > > parameter (the url will come from an email). eg:
 > >  > >  > > > http://.../somexform?id=abcd  > >  > >  > > >  > >  > >  >
> > the form then needs to load data with id=abcd (or at least something  >
>  > >  > > > derived from it).
 > >  > >  > > >
 > >  > >  > > > my question is how can I do this without dynamically
modifying the xform  > >  > >  > > >  > >  > >  > > > itself each time. I
dont really want to store the id in a session  > >  > >  > > > variable and
have the form retrieve it on form-ready, I'd like to know  > >  > >  > > >
if its possible with a pure xform, or at least a nicer approach to this  > >
> >  > > > one. This would be trivial if the initial request was via the
xform, but  > >  > >  > > >  > >  > >  > > > how do you preset a forms'
state for startup without having the form  > >  > >  > > > request the info
itself?
http://internet-apps.blogspot.com/
 > >  > >  >
 > >  > >  > Download our XForms processor from  > >  > >  >
http://www.formsPlayer.com/  > >  > >  > >  >  > >  >  >  > --  > Orbeon -
XForms Everywhere:

--
Best Regards,