Re: Switch case construct

Francisco,

Ok, I have had a go at reproducing your demo using just XForms 1.0
(see attached form) and I now appreciate that at the very least it
isn't clear how to reproduce it exactly (I couldn't anyway, though
someone cleverer than me might manage it).

For those who haven't looked, Francisco's form allows a user to
select four pre-defined subsets of cases inside a switch, which can
then be navigated through as tabs.

So there is 1 switch with four cases. Setting a value from a select1
makes a different predefined subset of the cases relevant and sets
focus to the first of that subset.

The key thing I couldn't manage was using the select1 to both
restrict the cases that a user could select _and_ toggle to the first
case of that selection.

The first part is easy, I just used ref on a set of triggers with
toggle actions. However, this could leave a toggle selected that is
now outside the current set of valid cases. So I needed to toggle to
the first of the valid set of cases, and without the ability to
dynamically assign the case to toggle to I couldn't see how to
achieve this from a select1.

Consequently I had to use four triggers, which I have taken the
bother to style loosely like a select1 (I could have made it look
more convincing if I could have been bothered).

A previous thread indicates that XForms will support dynamic
selection of a case to toggle to which might solve the problem.

Apart from that problem I think I was able to reproduce the
functionality of your test form. I am using the latest Firefox build
to test and that does fire the events in each case somewhat
erratically, which I will put down to the fact that it isn't finished
(to be fair your form also gets events confused eventually and
freezes Firefox). Firefox also paints the border of each case whether
or not it is selected, which creates an interesting visual effect :-)

Have I missed anything? I didn't bother to change the default styling
of non-relevant triggers to be visible with a greyed out appearance.

All the best

Mark

On 18 Aug 2006, at 12:09, Francisco Monteiro wrote:

> Mark
>
> My experience shows that given the tab approach the client will use
> it 101X, as I mentioned before I do not see why case control should
> not be treated just as any other single node bind control. Perhaps
> the design of the switch/case was not thorough enough?
>
> "Is it definitely the case that the content of non-relevant groups
> have to be in memory?" says who, it is up to the implementers to
> decide this.

Apologies, I didn't read the word "parse" in your posting. Doesn't
something have to parse an entire form to ensure that it is well-
formed XML before an XForms processor can get to work on it?

> Francisco

>>> Regards