Re: AJAX vs. Xforms

Le lundi 31 octobre 2005 à 02:14 -0500, Elliotte Harold a écrit :

> Mark Birbeck wrote:
> >
> > Hi Rafael,
> >
> > I think the big difference with the Ajax 'community' is that they
> > produce lots of examples, run Wikis that explain things, and so on. I
> > don't believe XForms is that difficult, but I think new users do need
> > orienting, yet the XForms 'community' has been pretty bad at providing
> > the support needed. In fact, I'd go so far as to say that this is one of
> > the worst 'communities' I have seen--take a look at things like SVG
> > and Python and you'll see primers, samples, Wikis, and all sorts.
> >

> Perhaps true but mostly irrelevant. There's only one difference that
> matters: AJAX works in today's browsers and XForms doesn't. Game. Set.
> Match.

May be, your tennis is better than your google search for "xforms
plugins"  :-)
Are you serious ?

> If and when XForms works in the browsers, then XForms development will
> become practical and people will start using it. This isn't a binary
> proposition. The more browsers XForms works in, and the better it works,
> the more XForms will be used. I'm not sure whether it will be a linear
> takeup or more of a hockey stick curve; but I do believe it will happen
> eventually. It just isn't happening very fast now.
> Bad and nonexistent implementations don't just account for the limited
> use of XForms in the real world. They account for the paucity of
> documentation and examples. I've considered writing about XForms but
> I've given up because the implementations are too poor to make it
> worthwhile. When I've talked about XForms at conferences, the demos I've
> been able to do have been so flaky and unreliable that they've convinced
> everyone to wait for next year.

I saw you're a very busy man, so send me a mail next year, I will help
you prepare your demos.
Except if you're always working alone.

This e-mail, and any file transmitted with it, is confidential and  intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom it is addressed. If you have received this email in error, please  contact the sender and delete the email from your system. If you are  not the named addressee you should not disseminate, distribute or copy  this email.

For more information on Agence France-Presse, please visit our web site at http://www.afp.com