Re: Fw: Disabling a button based on validity

Erik Bruchez wrote:

> andyh@collegenet.com wrote:
>
>> The code I presented below is not that cumbersome. Once you have the
>> instance and the three binds, you need a single instance data element per
>> field and two simple event handlers per control.
>

> You are kidding, right? It is EXTREMELY cumbersome. Again, this is
> functionality that you want in pretty much every XForms page. It should
> be achievable with an attribute or two.

I realize my comment above may sound a little harsh. I should
reformulate a bit by saying that in my opinion, since this is a feature
you want in your typical form, it is not satisfying to have to:

o write for each control 6 additional lines to set / unset a value

o create an additional XForms instance

o add an xforms:bind

This is a lot of overhead. Sure, once you get it, as an expert XForms
programmer, you deal with it. But I think that XForms should remain
reasonably simple for beginners, and that common tasks should be easy to
code. Show beginners a trick like this and they will leave and never
turn back.

Now the point of this thread is to see if some better solutions can be
found, and help make it so that they see the day of light in the next
iteration of the XForms specification.

-Erik