From: www-forms-request@w3.org [mailto:www-forms-request@w3.org] On Behalf Of Mark Birbeck
Sent: Tuesday, October 25, 2005 8:36 AM
To: 'Rafael Benito'
Cc: www-forms@w3.org
Subject: RE: AJAX vs. Xforms

Hi Rafael,

I think the big difference with the Ajax 'community' is that they produce lots of examples, run Wikis that explain things, and so on. I don't believe XForms is that difficult, but I think new users do need orienting, yet the XForms 'community' has been pretty bad at providing the support needed. In fact, I'd go so far as to say that this is one of the worst 'communities' I have seen--take a look at things like SVG and Python and you'll see primers, samples, Wikis, and all sorts.

So, in short, if XForms has a low take-up we only have ourselves to blame!

As our contribution to helping XForms move forwards (in addition to providing a free plug-in!) we have set-up a Wiki, and have tried to add demos, links and descriptions to help people use XForms. But it needs a lot more, so if people want to help with examples, code snippets, handy links to web services, pattern descriptions or whatever they want, please head over to http://www.xforms-wiki.com/.

One other initiative worth mentioning is that we will be working with the guys at Orbeon to produce some substantial cross-processor examples. Once done they will go up on the Wiki, and we hope that these will also help people new to XForms.

Mark Birbeck
CEO
x-port.net Ltd.

e: Mark.Birbeck@x-port.net