Re: Validation errors during xforms-submit

Ulrich Nicolas Lissé wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I have a question about submit processing. At
> http://www.w3.org/TR/2005/PER-xforms-20051006/slice11.html#submit-event
> you can read:

> 2. All selected instance data nodes are checked for validity according
> to the definition in 4.3.5 The xforms-revalidate Event (no notification
> events are marked for dispatching due to this operation). Any selected
> instance data node that is required but empty or found to be invalid
> stops submission processing after dispatching event xforms-submit-error.
>
> My question is: How is the UI expected to behave in case some nodes are
> found to be invalid ?
>
> Since no notification events are marked for dispatching one could draw
> the conclusion that the UI isn't updated as well. But this would mean
> that the user won't see which fields are invalid and caused the
> submission to fail. There could be an event handler for
> xforms-submit-error executing a xf:refresh in order to update all
> control's states, but I don't think this would be good option. That way
> the form authors would be forced to attach such an event handler to any
> xf:submission just to be able to visualize what went wrong. So how
> can/should this be accomplished ?
>
> Regards,
> Uli.

Hey Uli,

Well, if the form author is really anxious about it, they can put a
refresh inside a xforms-submit handler on the submission element so that
all of the controls bound to that instance data are refreshed before the
default handling is done.  Or make sure submission is triggered outside
of any control that can be used to update instance data (xf:submit or in
DOMActivate handler on trigger, for example).  So any necessary refresh
is automatically done due to the focus change when the user gives focus
to the xf:submit, for example.

But having said that, I don't know the reasoning behind why the WG
decided not to require the processor to refresh the instance prior to
submission.

--Aaron