Re: Directory picker control

Micah,

With the HTML file upload control, you will have to select a file, and
then upload it. There is also no guarantee that the user agent will send
the path. It appears that IE sends the directory and file name
information, but FireFox does not (just checked this with OPS).

Upload size is not limited by HTTP, but of course it makes no sense to
upload a 100 MB file just to browse a directory. Then what if the
directory is empty? You won't be able to select a file name and then
extract the path information.

So it appears that this particular solution is bad for seelcting
directories, and a little less so for selecting files, but in the latter
case you have to use IE and to be ready for a potentially long upload...

Now I am thinking that after the user has selected a file, it may be
possible to extract the file name from the control, store it into
another HTML field, and then somehow disable the upload.

-Erik