Re: Directory picker control

Micah Dubinko wrote:

> I have a client requesting a file/directory-picker control. A "browse"
> button, and the resulting filesystem path goes into the instance data.
>
> I know that <upload> has <filename>. Has anyone used this as a
> directory browser? I'm curious about how implementations have handled
> this.

Hello,

I suspect you only want the filename, and not the actual file. I've had
the same problem, and the only solution I found was binding the upload
to a dummy instance which will never be part of any submission. Some
problems I've had with this approach:

    * The file /will/ be uploaded (at least when using Chiba)
    * This may be implementation dependent, but at least in Chiba the
      directory part of the path to the file is /not/ saved
    * If the file is empty, the filename will not be saved (dunno if
      this is according to the spec)
    * Submitting "large" files (the limit is less than 10 MB) with Chiba
      cause a Java out of memory error with the default configuration on
      a new PC

I really do wish there will be some kind of possibility to include
file/directory paths without the file contents in XForms 1.1...

--
Victor Engmark
"Quid quid latine dictum sit, altum viditar" - "What is said in latin,