RE: [XForms] Re: Will Internet Explorer support XForms

Dharmesh,

The advantages of pre-processor over plug-in:
1.	Many organizations, both commercial and military, do not permit
downloads because of security risks and/or added IT costs.
2.	The developer of a XForms Web application does not need to be
concerned whether clients/customers will be permitted to download a
plug-in to make her site accessible.
3.	The look-and-feel is the browser - no branding, the Web
application developer is in full control.
4.	A plug-in requires a specific browser type and version where
preprocessors can scale the generated markup based on the browser's
capability, e.g. WML to SVG.
5.	Depending upon how a plug-in is implemented and the size of the
document to be rendered, there could be a noticeable delay bringing the
form up, much like opening a PDF file.

The disadvantage of pre-processor over plug-in:
1.	The produced script is larger than the XForms document itself -
compared to other Web content such as images, videos, documents,
animation, etc., this isn't an issue.  Compression and caching
techniques can be used to mitigate the script size.

The advantage of XForms:
1.	Web application interaction layer is declarative and
host-independent, e.g it can be used with J2EE, .Net, Perl, etc.
2.	Common data model between data and interaction layers.
3.	Forms applications can be completely authored in XForms with
zero dependencies on other logic hosted in Java or ASP, for example.
This stand-alone feature enables offline forms interaction.

Very respectfully,
Gary