RE: [XForms] XForms and Routing Scenarios

Andrew (wow, you have been busy!)

This kind of form completion is what got me focused on XML as a tool and,
over the last few months, in Xforms.

Yes - this routing is possible. I prepared a sample of this for a
presentation I did on XForms. It works ok - at least FormsPlayer does not
choke on it - but not entirely to plan because the e-mails and archive files
are dummies ...The Xforms can write an XML file to disk - and you can do
most anything with that file, then, to transmit it. You can code the Xforms
to be e-mailed as a submission method.

I prepared a "Travel Authorization" which is completed by the "employee".
Once the employee completes it, the portion he completed is marked "Read
Only" and the submission is by e-mail to his supervisor. The supervisor
clicks "Approve" or "Disapprove" and signs it with a password verification
(no e-signature built in to Xforms, yet) which makes that person's input
"Read Only" then submitted to the HR department then on to Finance. Upon
final action, a copy is sent to all people who signed on the form and is
stored in an archive.

I have done this with the California Judicial Council's "Form
Interrogatories" (written questions which ask a litigant for information in
the "discovery" process). The basic file is each one of the Interrogatories
with the appropriate input areas for the litigant's answers. There is a
"save" button which writes the file to disk, and permits the litigant to
stop and re-start the process of answering. There is a "send" button which
e-mails the completed form to me. I have had two people complete their
Interrogatory responses this way.

So yes, it seems to me that Xforms will fulfill its task of paper form
replacement. All with a text editor and a browser (with form processor
plug-in until we get a browser which has it built in) - no proprietary
technology requiring outlay of several hundred dollars.

Ned