Re: XForms CR - A further departure from XPath 1.0?

From: <AndrewWatt2001@aol.com>

> I know it is difficult for WG members to appreciate that readers of a CR
have
> only the words of the CR to base their comments on.
>
> You guys know what you mean to say. We on the outside can only attempt to
> arrive at your meaning by reading the words you guys write. If you don't
> write clearly enough we get misunderstandings.
>
> I have separately asked for clarification about what does or does not
> constitute "instance data" and "instance data nodes". An equally clear
answer
> to that would let me make further progress in understanding what the WG is
> attempting to communicate.

A part of the problem Andrew is your approach. By posting a wild claim to
XML-Dev that XForms uses XPath in a non-standard way angers a lot of people,
gains you no friends, and gives the XForms WG a lot of work trying to clear
up the mess and clear our name. If you posted a message to www-forms along
the lines of "XForms uses XPath in a way I wasn't aware of; could someone
explain to me why this is allowable, since I couldn't find it in the draft?"
you would creat a lot more good will, and generate more trust in your
technical abilities.

Steven Pemberton