From: Karandikar, Shailesh [mailto:Shailesh.Karandikar@dendrite.com]
Sent: 04 November 2002 15:55
To: 'XForms@yahoogroups.com'; 'www-forms@w3.org'
Subject: RE: Submitting incomplete forms

Hi,

XForms requirements mention save and continue feature.

I would like to distinguish between incomplete-forms from invalid-forms.
Typically, 'Required' data would result in incomplete forms. It would be up
to the author to decide whether to allow 'saving' of such forms. Incomplete
forms are not 'submitted' but 'saved' to a local or remote persistence layer
to be retrieved later; The exact mechanism depends on the underlying
framework.

Unless I've missed something obvious, I do not find this behavior clearly
explained in the processing model. It would be useful to be able to
'declaratively' specify this behavior. XForms author should be able to
specify and control following behaviors:

1. Validation modes supported by the form: delayed, incremental, relaxed, or
validate-on-submit, etc. Although this would complicate the validation
semantics and may result in inconsistent user interactions/interface, it
would be the responsibility of the XForms author to ensure overall
consistency.

2. Whether an xform instance is allowed save-n-continue feature. This would
be a 'computed' property, based on certain conditions: E.g. User must enter
name and birth-date before suspending a credit-card application. I.e.,
ability to impose validations on fragments when using save-n-continue
feature. This expression could  form a new model item property, to be
applied depending on the validation modes supported by the forms.

Regards,
Shailesh Karandikar,
Dendrite Inc.