RE: A few XForms Questions...

I'd like to return to this discussion...

From: Micah Dubinko

> Hi Dan,
>
> Your project looks very interesting. You were asking about
> >1) The ability to treat a select box as a "container."
>
> Interesting. I assume the lists have to be bound to
> "compatible" XML. In
> other words, you wouldn't want to put an <apple> into a list
> of <orange>s.
> :-)
>
> I haven't tried it, but this should be possible in XForms with a few
> <buttons> triggering XForms Actions <insert>, <setValue>, and
> <delete>.

If you go to Dan Switzer's site, to actually see what he is describing, then you realize that this is functionally equivalent to <selectMany>. It is simply a different UI presentation than currently afforded by the selectUI attribute. I have used this approach before, and I call this UI control a "chooser." Perhaps this can be new selectUI attribute value.

On the other hand, I have a complex form with 3 columns of listboxes where items are moved between some and copied between others. In that case, perhaps <insert> and <delete> may apply. However, functionally they are not necessarily mapped to directly editable data sets. Specifically, one listbox is not meant to edit its underlying data even though its item set changes. Perhaps this listbox comes from a different model than the one that gets submitted?

> >2) The ability to create n-related select boxes.
>
> We do specify heirarchial selection items, but that's not exactly what
> you're talking about. OK, I see
> http://www.pengoworks.com/qForms/docs/examples/n-related_selec
> tboxes.htm
>
> Again, I haven't tried this specific task, but it should be
> possible. In
> fact, with partial submit and replace="instance" for incoming data, it
> should even be possible for the subsequent levels to come
> from the server.

In fact, other common ways to present this are an expandle/collapsible tree or a categorized icon bar (popularized by Outlook). A tree containing checkboxes could be used for a selectMany. (The categorized bar does not need icons.)

The point is there are many representations. In my XForms implementation, I will probably extend the selectUI attribute to them to our designers needs.