Manipulating Interface Elements

one solution might be to trigger a submit event when he first
list is opened,
and target this submit event at a submitInfo element
that has replace="instance" --
you could then get back your new/updated instance which would have
your updated selections in the second list.

If you're not able to convince the server to do the replace="instance"
described above,
you could  do the xml equivalent of the javascript solution --namely,
0) create a model/instance pair of each of the sets of choices for
your secondary list--

1) as the user navigates the first list, cause his selections to
display the choices for the second list from one of the model/instance
combination created in (0)

--
Best Regards,
--raman