From: Chris Haynes [mailto:chris@harvington.org.uk]
Sent: Saturday, January 12, 2002 12:31 PM
To: Micah Dubinko
Cc: 'Mark Nottingham'; www-forms@w3.org
Subject: Re: PUT

Micah,

This provokes a related query.

Another list has just been having an animated discussion about the
ability of HTTP 'GET' from an HTML4.01 page to support international
character sets in the CGI data included with the URL (following a
'?').

The question arose because we discovered that a certain browser was
encoding characters like 'é' using an operating-system-specific
encoding, whereas a web server / servlet interface was assuming they
were encoded using UTF-8. We wanted to know who was 'wrong'.

After much reading of the relevant specs we concluded that all you can
rely on when using GET is the return of (7-Bit) ACSII codes.  Although
there is a '%' escape mechanism permitting code values above 0x80 to
be transmitted, we could find no standard for or means of specifying
what those high-value 8-bit codes actually represent; i.e. what
encoding they are using.

.If our conclusions were correct, is there an issue for XForms, which
in [1] below seems to support (HTTP1.x?) GET, yet also requires (or
implies) full UTF-8 support?

BTW, HTTP POST seems OK; the character encoding used by the browser is
reported in one of the MIME headers.

Chris Haynes