refusing to answer required questions

Hi-

I'm new to this forum, but I've been addressing similar concerns within
the realm of psychiatric and medical informatics via our own approach to
implementing forms.

Paul Sagi's concern re privacy is especially true for forms and interviews
within medicine,  psychiatry, and epidemiology research.  In each of
these, people need to be given the opportunity to refuse to answer
questions, even if they are "required" by the form or underlying data
schema.

We have found that, in general, all required elements might need to
support these additional options for "not answering" a question:  (1)
refused (e.g. for people who refuse to answer a sensitive question), (2)
don't know (e.g., "do you have a family history of <rare disease X>"), (3)
huh? (e.g. the person doesn't understand the question), (4) NA (e.g. if
the question isn't applicable for the person, even though the programming
logic suggests that it is -- an error in the logic).  Survey / polling
research often also needs (5) no opinion.  We have associated each of
these with separate comment fields so that if any of these options are
selected, the user is able to optionally specify their reason for
refusing, etc.  In fact, the committees that oversee research often
require that subjects be allowed to refuse to answer questions.

From an XForms perspective, I'm not sure how this would be addressed.
XML-Schema can be used to generate <union> structures which support these
additionally allowable responses for each data element, but that seems
potentially burdensome upon the authors.  Moreover, these exceptional
answers should really have distinct user interface features from the main
options (for example, we implement them as buttons to the right of each
question; and the visibility of each button is determined by the privilege
level of the users -- e.g. interviewer vs. interviewee).  Thus, not only
is this a compound data type, but it is a compound user interface element
with refuse, etc. buttons whose visibility are controlled separately from
the visibility of the main data element.

Can this type of functionality be supported by XForms?  If not, I
recommend that it be added, otherwise XForms might have limited use within
medical research settings.

/Tom

--
Thomas M. White, MD, MS