Re: Semicolon better than ampersand as the default separator

I agree with Mark, but he was quicker on the draw :-)

During the implementation phase, it was discovered that implementers
by-and-large went with the current web default of ampersand when
*constructing* URI parameters from instance data. We had to be responsive
to that reality in order to exit CR.

However, to Mark's point, because the change concerns what separator is
used to *construct* the URI parametners, the only occurrence of the
separator character is in the separator attribute.  So, changing the
default to ampersand means you don't have to write an escaped ampersand
into the XML markup of the submission in order to get ampersand
separators.  You can express it if you want, but you used to be forced to
write an escaped ampersand separator on pretty much every submission,
which is why the implementation community generally did not go this way.

John M. Boyer, Ph.D.
STSM, Interactive Documents and Web 2.0 Applications
Chair, W3C Forms Working Group
IBM Victoria Software Lab
E-Mail: boyerj@ca.ibm.com

Blog RSS feed: