RE: 43 and 47- Response to your issue sent to the XForms WG abou t the XForms Last Call WD

Thierry,

I agree with the XForms WG resolution of 0061, but I do not agree with the
disposition 0066.

0066 proposed adoption of multipart/related as a means for binary submission
in combination with 0061.
The referenced notes from the Copenhagen Face to Face propose
multipart/form-data as the MIME type, by analogy with the existing HTML form
submission enctype that uses that MIME type. Unfortunately, by my reading of
RFC 2833 [1], putting the XML description of the entire form submission in
one part is not compliant, nor would it work with servers expecting legacy
format.
Xerox produces products [2], [5] which rely on multipart/form-data [3] [4],
and its ability to include both binary upload data and multiple name/value
pairs of other form data in the same POST. For a working example, see [2].

Therefore, while I applaud the adoption of a serialiation format suitable
for submission of large amounts of binary data, I believe that the MIME type
should be multipart/related, and that multipart/form-data submission should
be separately described, and should work primarily for the legacy case of
simple instance data, for compatibility with existing web servers.  I will
work with the rest of the XForms WG to resolve this issue.

Finally, I express no opinion here about multipart/form-data submission for
instance data with structure other than name/value pairs, as it is not a
legacy case broken by the proposed solution nor was it a requirement of my
original last-call comment; however, if such an opinion is sought, I will
gladly give one.

[1] RFC 2388 http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2388.txt
[2] Xerox DocuShare Sandbox Server http://docushare.xerox.com:8001/
[3] Xerox DocuShare, http://www.xerox.com/docushare
[4] docushare.jpg, Attached screen shot for DocuShare
[5] Xerox Document Centre,
http://www.xerox.com/go/xrx/template/display2X.jsp?URL=products/PT_4.jsp&fam
ily=Document+Centre+Family
[6] print.jpg Attached screen shot for Document Centre web-based printing

Leigh L. Klotz, Jr.
Xerox Corporation