From: Michael J Kormendy [mailto:mike@somethinginteractive.com]
Sent: Thursday, September 27, 2012 11:14 AM
To: www-font@w3.org
Subject: Clarification on WOFF & MIME

I need clarification on the best server settings for MIME types for WOFF file format.

I've done some research on the MIME type standards for web-fonts and I've come up with a pretty solid list of MIME type settings for my server as based on the Internet Engineering Task Force who maintain the original documentation on MIME types in general:

http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2045#section-5

This is my MIME type list as publicized in the Stack Exchange forum:

svg  as "image/svg+xml"

ttf  as "application/x-font-ttf" or "application/x-font-truetype"

otf  as "application/x-font-opentype"

woff as "application/x-font-woff"

eot  as "application/vnd.ms-fontobject"

However, someone suggested that WOFF should be set to applicaton/font-woff based on the W3C standards in the document maintained here:

http://www.w3.org/TR/WOFF/#appendix-b

Would it be prudent to go so far as to add the W3C recommendation to my list in the following formatting (avoiding any browser warnings, errors, or inaction that may occur do to improper MIME settings)?

svg  as "image/svg+xml"

ttf  as "application/x-font-ttf" or "application/x-font-truetype"

otf  as "application/x-font-opentype"

woff as "application/x-font-woff" or "application/font-woff"

eot  as "application/vnd.ms-fontobject"

Any guidance on this would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike Kormendy