Re: Announcing new font compression project

It's a good question.

In the interim, yes, you have to do multiple WOFF versions if you want the
best compressed file the browser can handle. It will be some time before
webmasters are able to completely ignore IE 6-8, though, so the reality is
that people already have to do multiple versions, typically use toolkits of
one kind or another to do it, and this just becomes one more choice.

If you want to deploy something simple, just plain WOFF (version 1) is
definitely an option. Simple sites that just use a latin font or two might
find this approach preferable. For use cases such as CJK, though, the added
compression would definitely be worthwhile.

And, most modern browsers are getting better at updating and thus being
able to deliver the latest version of standards implementation. I suspect
that the time gap between, say, 95% of the installed base of browsers being
able to support WOFF and 95% of the installed base being able to support
WOFF 2 is, in fact, going to be pretty slim.

This proposal is all about tradeoffs between added performance and
complexity. If you didn't care about the file sizes, the added complexity
wouldn't be worth it. Google does care about the performance, but again,
this is definitely something that should be discussing and thinking through
to make sure we're getting the tradeoffs right.

Raph