Re: [css3-text] text-transform: uppercase; and cpsp OpenType Feature

On 9/7/2011 12:24 AM, John Daggett wrote:
> I think that *if* we want to support this feature it would be better
> to support it using an extra value for font-variant-caps.

+1.

Text transformations, and in particular case conversion, can be
non-trivial. Case conversion is fairly straightforward in English, but
it is not in French, for example (there are at least three different
orthotypographic traditions, one of which seems to involve semantic
decisions). Tying something like spacing in all caps, which is a purely
graphical problem, to case conversion would be a big mistake, IMHO.

Eric.