Re: SVG Fonts inside of OpenType fonts? [Cross-post from www-font@w3.org]

It seem to me that embedding an SVG font in it's entirety in a new table may
not be the right level to do this at. As I understand it, the problem is to
get colour animated glyphs in a font to enable support for things like
emoji. The original proposed solution was to embed a full SVG font with all
of it's features in a single table of an OT font with potentially all its
other tables. What seems to be missing is a way to have the SVG font
participate in the already existing rich support for layout in an OT font
that is already supported by a number of layout engines.

Instead of embedding the entire SVG font as a single blob wouldn't it allow
for better integration if the SVG font was broken apart into individual
glyphs and those then placed into a parallel glyph table similar to the
existing glyf table (say sglf). This sglf table would then be indexed using
an sloc table probably identical to the existing loca table except that it
refers to offsets in the sglf table.

Finally, to get from characters to glyph ids there would need to be a
parallel to the existing cmap table perhaps the scmp table. The scmp table
would also be identical to the existing cmap table with the tag difference
only to identify it as being in the svg glyph resolution chain. This could
be done without using a separate SVG cmap (scmp) but it would potentially
require a large sparse SVG loca table if you are adding only a small number
of SVG glyphs to an existing font with lots of TT outlines.

The dual chain (scmp -> sloc -> sglf and cmap -> loca -> glyf) would allow a
font to have both sets of glyph formats. Thus a font designer could build
fallback glyphs that could be displayed by layout systems that don't
understand the SVG format glyphs. It would also allow fonts to be built that
are mostly TT outlines with only some SVG glyphs. The fallback rules for the
use of the two chains would need to be defined to support this. For layout
systems that understand the SVG format glyphs they would attempt to find the
glyph in the SVG chain and if not found then they would fallback to the
standard TT outline chain. Systems that don't understand the SVG chain would
use the TT outline chain and get whatever is available there - perhaps only
the .notdef glyph.

The numbering space for glyph ids for both the SVG glyphs and the TT
outlines would be identical so that the SVG glyph would then interoperate
with all of the other TT/OT tables that refer to glyph ids. Integrating the
SVG glyphs in the above way would also allow them to be used by layout
systems in the same way as they do now including doing complex layout using
GSUB and GPOS since these SVG glyphs would have glyph ids as used in the
existing OT spec. Any tables in the TT/OT spec that use glyph ids would work
with the SVG glyphs.

Stuart