Re: SVG Fonts inside of OpenType fonts? [Cross-post from www-font@w3.org]

On Jun 29, 2011, at 11:08 AM, Dr. Olaf Hoffmann wrote:

> By the way:
> Are you sure, an SVG font  with fill, stroke, gradients, animation etc
> has any use for text output for HTML?
> Maybe only for artistic headings or something like this, but not
> for normal text ;o)

Fill? Yes, absolutely. Layered fonts have a long and glorious history. Stroke, gradients, animation etc.? I have no idea, but I'm sure that someone else will do something amazing with them. These ideas may seem odd given the flat, static capabilities of current web typography. That does not need to be the case. If multi-colored, layered typography could be beautifully executed with letterpress printing well over a hundred years ago, it seems that all of our advanced digital technology should be able to at least replicate those results.

Tal