From: "Internationalization Core Working Group Issue Tracker" <sysbot+tracker@w3.org>
To: www-font@w3.org, public-i18n-core@w3.org
Sent: Thursday, December 16, 2010 4:18:48 AM
Subject: I18N-ISSUE-9: OpenType feature preservation [WOFF]

I18N-ISSUE-9: OpenType feature preservation [WOFF]

Raised by: Richard Ishida
On product: WOFF

5. Font Data Tables, Note
http://www.w3.org/TR/WOFF/#DataTables

WG Reviewed: Yes

We are concerned about implementers that are ignoring OpenType feature support. This advice falls outside the scope of the WOFF spec, but we think that adding to the note at the bottom of section 5 will be very useful in alerting people to this issue.

We suggest to add some text saying something like this:

"The automatic removal of OpenType features such as GPOS and GSUB information at any stage in the process of deploying a WOFF file is strongly discouraged. Many writing systems around the world rely on these features for very basic display of text in the script that they use."