From: Koji Ishii
Sent: Monday, December 06, 2010 4:18 PM
To: 'John Daggett'
Cc: www-style; www-font; Ambrose LI
Subject: RE: [css3-text] fullwidth punctuation kerning

This is a bit old thread, but I'm revisiting this to make sure the issue is resovled.

>> I'm sorry for my ignorance but could you please explain what the
>> "well designed (OpenType-wise)" font is?
>
>In this case, fonts with proper kerning data.

To respond to John's concern, I would propose to add the following sentence to the spec:

  Fullwidth opening and closing punctuation must not be trimmed if the
  glyph is not actually fullwidth. A fullwidth glyph is one that has the
  same advance width as a typical Han character in the same font.
+ This includes the case where the glyph is not fullwidth as a result of
+ the kerning in the font.

I hope this clarifies the concern.

Regards,
Koji

> I'm sorry for my ignorance but could you please explain what the "well
> designed (OpenType-wise)" font is?

In this case, fonts with proper kerning data.

> Or does such font include variable spacing depending on the
> combinations of two characters?

Right, this is precisely what kerning is.

Cheers,

John Daggett