RE: [css3 fonts] font-specific features

John Hudson said:

>How do authors find out about the features available in an application?
>Documentation...

Hmm... partly. Depends. For example, there are ways to test and/or query for objects and properties in JavaScript which give you a kind of on-the-fly documentation which is very, very useful.
I can understand Sylvain's concerns on this.
Is there no way to similarly query a font for features?
That is, rifle through the possible combinations and see what's there?
The RTFM (Read The Feckin Manual) approach has never been very effective. And what happens when you update the font?

Chris Lilley wrote:
>>They read the ample documentation that comes with the font.
>>No? Ok well then they use trial and error. Or load it into a font editor and look.

So, jump the garden fence and load the *WOFF* into a font editor and look, eh? Everybody OK with that?

Would it not make a lot of sense to include *a web page* along with the WOFF (or other format) to demonstrate features, rather than a PDF. That would be much, much more effective documentation because the CSS would be there for authors as well. Integrating the advanced features would become more of a cut-and-paste operation. I am assuming it would be quite time consuming for web authors to map what they see in a PDF to the equivalent CSS rules.
(Reserving judgment until I try doing so myself but experience says a web page with CSS rules to guide is going to be one heck of a lot easier.)

Regards,

Rich