Re: [css3-fonts] @font-face matching and font-style descriptor

Sergey Malkin wrote:

> > font-weight-synthetic == auto | none
> > font-style-synthetic == auto | <angle> | none
>
> If such option is introduced, I see need for three values: allow
> synthetic styles, use specified face without faux style, or fallback
> to another font if simulation is required. Although, threshold at
> which point graphics system is going to use faux bold is not exactly
> specified.

The problem with allowing "fallback to a font family that has real
italics" is that it doesn't work for scripts that typically lack
italics (e.g. Japanese).

For faux bold I think we should define it as representing a 700 weight
font which exists if and only if no weight greater than 500 exists for
a given family.  Combined with weight mapping rules, that will fit
with existing platform API usage (e.g. GDI).

John Daggett