RE: Webfonts from FontFont

Erik van Blokland <erik@letterror.com> wrote:

>With a considerable risk of sounding spammy.
Not at all, if you honestly, genuinely feel it moves @font-face and web
typography forward and commercial interests are incidental, I think this is
an appropriate forum for such announcements.

And so you don't feel alone, Erik, I'll take the same risk right along with
you. But with no concern about competing interests other than the
furtherance of typography on the web:

I'd like to announce the availability of a new free tool for creating
natively compressed EOT files: EOTFAST.
http://eotfast.com
Savings in file size typically range from 45% to 70%.
It's fair to say that other conversion utilities like Microsoft WEFT or
ttf2eot are now obsolete.
A great screen font like Droid Serif starts out at 169kb as a TTF with the
full character set but as an EOTFAST file it weighs in at only 80kb. With
still the full character set. As is the case with files created with WEFT,
compression is lossless.
The documentation contains useful information for designers looking to
prepare fonts for use on the web.
The download package also contains a HTML "EOT File Integrity Test" page and
a helpful "fallback" test font.

BTW - and this certainly is appropriate - the documentation you are offering
with Fontshop's Web FontFonts initiative states:
"Please note that Internet Explorer ignores style-linking for webfonts and
uses synthetic styles instead"
It would be great if you were to share any test pages and/or methodology you
used to arrive at that conclusion.

It is demonstrably incorrect.
View in IE:
http://readableweb.com/fontface/sc/droidfamilytest.htm