Re: [css3-fonts] low-level font features

John Hudson wrote:

> Unlike AAT and Graphite, the OpenType Layout model presumes an
> intelligent layout engine that looks after standard text shaping by
> applying layout features in an ordered sequence.

I think what you mean here is that the in OpenType Layout the
knowledge of how to do standard text shaping is embedded in the layout
engine, not in the font data itself, as is the case with AAT or
Graphite.  My guess is AAT and Graphite layout engines are quite
intelligent. ;)

> I'm guessing that layout engines encountering unregistered features,
> if they do anything with them at all, will process them after
> registered features, but to my knowledge there is no standard
> protocol regarding this.

Is this something that we should ask the OpenType folks to clarify in
a future spec revision?  Including this in a CSS spec doesn't feel
right although it would be expedient.

John Daggett