Re: suggested WOFF changes

From: John Daggett <jdaggett@mozilla.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2010 13:59:00 -0700 (PDT)
To: "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Cc: John Hudson <tiro@tiro.com>, public-webfonts-wg@w3.org, www-font <www-font@w3.org>, Vladimir Levantovsky <Vladimir.Levantovsky@monotypeimaging.com>
Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:

> We can perhaps add an informative note into the WOFF spec saying that,
> as a web font format, WOFF files are expected to be used with
> embedding APIs that offer same-origin restrictions.  But it's
> inappropriate to express this in normative language, in my opinion.

I think it's fine to say that the WOFF font format is intended for use
with fonts on the web, it's not intended to be a general-use font format.
Any wording beyond the scope of user agent behavior is not the domain of the
spec, it's the domain of the font license which is the correct place for
it.

One note here, the same-origin restriction is applied in resource loading
code which is completely separate from embedded font loading API's.

Cheers,

John Daggett