RE: WOFF and extended metadata

Yes, I am aware of what browsers already do here; I mentioned it to Tal in side
thread. That doesn't make it desirable or reasonable, however. I very much doubt
that your average font shop can or will take advantage of the ability to optimize
name/value pair combinations as they'd have to test the mismatched name/value sets
against a number of possible user language preferences to make sure the results
always make sense. That doesn't sound like making their lives any easier.

In practice I would thus expect most font vendors to either match n names with n values,
Or define n localized names for a single value e.g. for a global brand name.

But I, as implementor, would still have to test the odd mismatched combinations almost
no one will ever use to make sure I conform and can produce the proper result *if* things
are unusual. And we as a WG will also have to build the testcases to verify this. (Any
volunteers ?)

All of this also assumes that 1) the language matching rules we use for WOFF metadata are
the same as those used by HTTP for Accept-Language or maybe xml:lang processing, and 2) that
their current implementations are also correct and interoperable. I honestly  don't know if
that's true, and I don't know if vendors will care to fix bugs for the sake of making font
metadata display correctly either.

I conclude that the worst case you bring up is actually the sanest and likeliest option for an
implementor i.e. show everything, possibly grouped by language tag. As this is the *optional
extension area* of a file *metadata* block, I am in fact uncomfortable doing anything more than that
until such time a font vendor comes up with an actual metadata block they want to store in their
products that 1) needs localized metadata extensions 2) requires the ability to language-match names
and values independently to produce name-value pairs and 3) uses so many languages and/or data that
showing all the data to the user is an issue.