Re: WOFF and extended metadata

On May 27, 2010, at 1:54 PM, Sylvain Galineau wrote:

> I'm not sure what you're saying.

Honestly, I'm having a hard time following you as well.

> My proposal defines everything that a
> browser will render, including an extension point allowing font vendors
> to add their own data to the font info UI. Once I have written rendering
> code for such a format, I *am* done. The metadata we have already defined
> will render. The  conforming metadata you and others add will render too.
> All of it. It will work the same in 10 years as it would next week.

Okay, so your code would support this abstraction:

<metadata>
	<element attribute="text" />
	<element attribute="text">
		<childelement attribute="text">
			text
		</childelement>
	</element>
</metadata>

This would allow you to support future additions to the spec because you are supporting a structure, not a set of defined elements, right? What if a future version of the spec adds this element?

	<blahblah>
		<foo>
			<bar>
				<lalala/>
			</bar>
		</foo>
	</blahblah>

Given some of what you said before about nesting, I don't know.

> What do I do if people don't conform
> to these guidelines ? Does it mean I'd effectively parse this unknown data then
> check its tree depth and other structural constraints in order to figure out whether
> it'll fit in my UI ? Then what if it doesn't ? Up to me ?

All of this applies to your proposal as well. We have to answer these questions no matter what direction we go in.

Tal