RE: WOFF and extended metadata

From: Sylvain Galineau <sylvaing@microsoft.com>
Date: Thu, 27 May 2010 15:17:18 +0000
To: Gustavo Ferreira <gustavo.ferreira@hipertipo.net>
CC: www-font <www-font@w3.org>

The point is not to make you specifically do the job. The point is that you
and any number of interested parties - including font vendors with far more
resources than yours - can do this job today if they so desire. Anyone can add
this feature to a browser. Requiring me to do something no one else needs me
for is absurd. Especially if there are far, far more important issues with
OS/browser font rendering!

I'd rather work with you on those, to be frank. Because the impact of that work
may benefit *all* my users, not just the tiny minority among my user base that
messes with CSS and fonts on a regular basis, all of whom are not just perfectly
comfortable downloading add-ons and development tools but may in fact never ever
use my basic built-in font info dialog in favor of some dedicated independent
developer's carefully crafted web font wizard add-on that shows not just metadata,
but lets the user sample the font at different sizes and line-heights, generates the
@font-face rule for them and who knows what else.

I can trust your font design expertise. You can trust that browser vendors know where
their time and efforts are best spent, what features need to be built-in to foster adoption
and interop, which ones are the realm of third-party extensions, and which ones should be
'promoted' from the latter to the former.