UI behaviour in scope for WOFF spec? [was Re: WOFF and extended metadata]

From: Ben Weiner <ben@readingtype.org.uk>
Date: Mon, 24 May 2010 14:39:42 +0100
To: www-font@w3.org
Hi,

On 24 May 2010, at 13:59, Levantovsky, Vladimir wrote:

> the spec should stick to defining the issues that affect interoperability, such as the syntax and semantics of the metadata, and the behavior of a browser when a metadata is present.

You want to mandate something like an alert shown in the location bar, like a security certificate + https generating a little padlock symbol? What's the payback for the browser author? Why does the user care?

I see WOFF metadata as something latent in the file, something that could be found, for example, by a curious person using a plugin of some kind or listed in site usage stats generated by a web server or a crawler. Really it is part of the semantic web, not part of the web of user agents. Time will tell us how valuable it is. Time might monetise it ;-)

>  Not specifying a behavior creates an interoperability problem.

A pretty small one, surely? Which version 1.1 of the spec could address?

Ben

--

Ben Weiner | http://readingtype.org.uk/about/contact.html
+44 (0) 7780 608 659