Re: WOFF and extended metadata

From: John Hudson <tiro@tiro.com>
Date: Wed, 19 May 2010 23:06:19 -0700
To: Christopher Slye <cslye@adobe.com>
CC: public-webfonts-wg@w3.org, www-font@w3.org
Christopher wrote:

> That's it. I wasn't proposing a "schema". My assumption, based on the question having been asked, was that XML validation (i.e. confirming the code in the block is valid XML) was already taking place. I think what you're saying is that that's not the case.

So perhaps we're in a situation of saying *if* an UA performs XML
validation of the WOFF file and finds that either or both the metadata
or private data is invalid, then...

I agree with Christopher that the preferable result in that case would
be that the whole WOFF file is considered invalid and should not be
used. If a font fails to display, that's then a signal that there is
something wrong with the WOFF file, which can then be fixed, rather than
a file with invalid data being persistently served.

JH