Re: fsType and embedding information

From: John Hudson <tiro@tiro.com>
Date: Wed, 19 May 2010 11:23:19 -0700
To: Dave Crossland <dave@lab6.com>
CC: www-font@w3.org
Dave Crossland wrote:

> So when I run Chromium or Firefox, click "Print," and select the "PDF
> Printer Driver," I am embedding an unpacked font in a PDF document?

That would be my understanding. At that point, printing to a PDF and
embedding an unpacked font from a WOFF file is not different from
printing a PDF and embedding a locally installed font.

> And if the unpacked font says "No Document Embedding!" then Chromium
> or Firefox or my PDF Printer Driver should fail to run?

No. What should happen is that the PDF is created without the embedded
font, using fallback fonts. If the PDF is being created with Acrobat
Distiller, the fallback fonts will be the Adobe Serif MM or Adobe Sans
MM fonts that exist for this reason. I'm not sure what other party PDF
creators do in this respect.

It's probably worth pointing out that there are very few fonts whose
embedding bits completely disallow embedding. Most commercial fonts have
embedding set to 'Print and Preview', and some to 'Editable'. I presume
free fonts have the embedding bits set to 'Installable'.

JH