Re: fsType and embedding information

Dave Crossland wrote:

> On 19 May 2010 03:37, John Hudson <tiro@tiro.com> wrote:
>>        None of the existing embedding bits constitute or
>>        imply permission to create or serve a WOFF file.
>>        Web authors should confirm that a font is licensed
>>        for such use.

> Create and serve, but what about render? I mean, how does this apply
> to something like Prince? When Prince "serves" a WOFF, is it
> considered to be "embedding" the WOFF in a document? Or is it
> considered to be downloading a WOFF, unwrapping the WOFF to get a OTF,
> and "embedding" the OTF in a document?

As I understand it, Prince creates PDF files from HTML and XML, so the
pretty obvious answer is that they are embedding an unpacked font in a
PDF and the same embedding bit permissions apply as in any other
embedding of TTF/OTF fonts in a PDF. PDF embedding is the commonest case
in which embedding bits apply, and how to respect those bits is pretty
well established and understood by PDF makers. Embedding a font in a PDF
also typically involves conversion and/or subsetting of the font data,
so by that stage the WOFF file container has been left far behind, as
has the WOFF standard.

JH