Re: Agenda, action items and suggested WOFF changes

From: John Hudson <tiro@tiro.com>
Date: Fri, 14 May 2010 12:18:50 -0700
CC: public-webfonts-wg@w3.org, www-font@w3.org, David Berlow <dberlow@fontbureau.com>
Revised wording based on comment from David Berlow here
http://www.typophile.com/node/69631/#comment-411286

	Web authors are expected to make adequate efforts
	to ensure that the font license corresponds to the
	intended web use. It MUST NOT be assumed that
	document embedding permissions in the font’s OS/2
	table fsType field correspond to permission for use
	of the font in a WOFF container. However, a font’s
	fsType settings, MUST NOT affect load behavior in
	user agents and MUST NOT affect whether tools
	produce a WOFF file from a font.

Tom Phinney's recent concern about OS/2 fsType version remains
outstanding. This wording would make any future fsType bit assignments
subject to the same terms, so we might want to make this specific to the
current table version. I don't think this is likely to become a
practical concern, since most of us are thinking along David's lines, in
one way or another, of more exhaustive and precise permissions being
documented elsewhere in the font, but Tom's right that we should the
implications for future bits.

JH