Re: Agenda, action items and suggested WOFF changes

Sylvain Galineau wrote:

> But if the vendor, in some cases, allows you to convert your TTFs, why do we
> need to decide which embedding bit(s) allow this conversion ? We're adding
> an extra step for font and tool vendors for what exact benefit ? What if a
> font vendor like Adobe want to allow thousands of existing customers to convert
> some of their catalog to web use but they don't have the right bits set currently?
> Should their future tool prevent their customers from doing that ?

The point of a bit is to protect fonts that are not licensed for web use
from being converted into WOFF files. It's up to the font makers to
decide how best to set the bit in terms of their business model,
anticipate future needs etc. It's a direct parallel to document
embedding tools and existing embedding bits, but necessarily independent
of those because of the practical and legal distinctions between
document embedding and web font linking.

JH