Re: Agenda, action items and suggested WOFF changes

From: John Hudson <tiro@tiro.com>
Date: Tue, 11 May 2010 12:06:17 -0700
To: Thomas Phinney <tphinney@cal.berkeley.edu>
CC: Dave Crossland <dave@lab6.com>, public-webfonts-wg@w3.org, www-font <www-font@w3.org>
Thomas Phinney wrote:

> That would be my expectation as well. I apologize for losing track of
> the scope (WOFF tools vs general user agents), but I think it would be
> equally problematic to not be able to process existing fonts into
> WOFF.

Yes. I think we agree that no solution should either prevent creation of
WOFF files from existing fonts *or imply that such creation is
explicitly permitted*. The situation for existing fonts is necessarily
ambiguous and must be referred to the EULA.

> However, the OS/2 version bump is one solution.

Yes. It will enable makers of new desktop format fonts who wish to
technically restrict their use as WOFF fonts to do so.

JH