RE: WebFonts WG discussions

From: Sylvain Galineau <sylvaing@microsoft.com>
Date: Fri, 7 May 2010 20:34:42 +0000
To: "Levantovsky, Vladimir" <Vladimir.Levantovsky@MonotypeImaging.com>, "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>
CC: Matt Colyer <matt@typekit.com>, Erik van Blokland <erik@letterror.com>, "www-font@w3.org" <www-font@w3.org>
From: www-font-request@w3.org [mailto:www-font-request@w3.org] On Behalf Of Levantovsky, Vladimir

Vlad, fwiw I agree with Tab and Jonathan here:  If someone has the format and technical know-how to rip out
certain tables, it's unlikely the extra effort of fixing up a checksum will deter anything. I just don't know anyone
who's both savvy enough to mess with a file at the byte level, remove sections of it and update the TableDirectory
header but yet is too dumb to figure out how to update the checksums. (Or rather, too dumb to Google the answer and
copy/paste the code) As for those who don’t have that know-how, they'll be using a tool written by the former.

But afaik font vendors are certainly welcome to get fancy in their private data area. Checksum it, sign it, encode it
and otherwise annotate it in any way you feel is valuable to enforce your licensing rights.