RE: What constitutes protection [was: About using CORS]

On Tue, May 4, 2010 at 2:19 PM, Levantovsky, Vladimir
<Vladimir.Levantovsky@monotypeimaging.com> wrote:

> It seems that same-origin restriction by default makes perfect sense for any resource,
> and while I lament that it wasn't implemented for other resources, I do not see any
> reason why it should not be in place for fonts and other resources going forward.

Hasn't HTTP Referrer Checking been the solution to this thus far? As
far back as I can remember, people have been using it to avoid
hot-linking of images and other assets. In fact, this is what we use
on Typekit to ensure that only authorized sites are accessing the
appropriate fonts. Also, FWIW, the same-origin issue hasn't affected
us one way or the other since we encode the fonts as Data URIs
directly in the stylesheet. FontSquirrel is doing the same thing for
self-hosted free fonts.

And just as another data point: Nearly all of our large-scale
customers use CDNs for static content and, if they weren't hosting
fonts with us, would move them to these platforms. Our research with
all the enterprise-class CDNs showed that there really is no
consistency in what control you get over things like setting headers.
Implementing CORS would be case-by-case for these customers. Referrer
checking, however, is pretty much universally supported on these
networks.

 -j

--
Jeffrey Veen