Re: [WOFF] Checksums, IDs, and Local Cacheing

Hi Doug,

Although you list WOFF-specific elements, this is really a question related to the @font-face mechanism, not WOFF itself.  It could apply just as well to OpenType/TrueType or EOT fonts as well.

> A user who had visited that site before, or who had visited a site
> using that same font, would have it in their cache, saving them from
> downloading it yet again, and saving the bandwidth for the server.

Like all web resources, fonts are cached, the second time around they will be pulled from the local browser cache or a cache of activated fonts keyed on the web font URL (assuming meta-tags or server HTTP header settings don't effectively disable this caching).

It seems like what you're asking for is a way of caching fonts by a mechanism other than the URL.  There are security reasons this isn't such a great idea; if you provide a way that the fonts of one site can end up on the content of another site, you effectively enable malicious content to be injected into another page.  It's also difficult to imagine a caching mechanism that would be foolproof, it would be awfully easy to create two fonts that would be different but have the same key.

CC'ing www-style on the response.

John Daggett
Mozilla Japan