RE: Next step?

> From: www-font-request@w3.org [mailto:www-font-request@w3.org] On
> Behalf Of Levantovsky, Vladimir

> However, we all seemed to agree that if it is possible to develop a
> new, better format that would be acceptable to all interested parties
> including browser vendors, font foundries and web authors - this would
> be an ideal solution. So, while I agree that allowing to claim
> conformance to *any* single format gets us nowhere, conformance to
> *the* single format (e.g. WOFF) will eventually get us exactly where we
> all want to be. And, if we can agree on two formats that would make the
> interoperability possible "here and now" - this would be just icing on
> the cake!

Interoperability here and now is not icing on the cake if it's possible.
We can agree on any single format for cross-browser interop 5+ years for
now as far as I care. But I'd rather support the possibility to enable
some web font support well before then if we can.

The perfect should not be the enemy of the good. And whether the good is
good enough will largely be up to authors.

Should individual browser vendors not want to bother with the present, that's
fine with me as long as it's their own individual call.