Flash of unstyled text/Flash of unfonted content

Hi,

Levantovsky, Vladimir wrote:
> FWIW, the issue with IE not rendering a page until fonts are downloaded has been addressed here [1].
> There are few other demo pages [2] where you can clearly observe FOUT effect.
>
> Vlad
>
> [1] http://www.microsoft.com/typography/web/embedding/demos/4/about4.aspx
> [2] http://www.microsoft.com/typography/web/embedding/

But isn't this ancient history?

Have current browser developers addressed the loading issue? Right now I
think it's handled quite well in Firefox, which renders in the core font
specified in CSS as fallback while it downloads the web font and then
updates the page with the downloaded font. Safari shows nothing except
the link underlines, which has got to be wrong.

Is a W3 spec required on rendering with a fallback font and then
updating the page, or could we agree that this is how it should be done?
Whatever, the thing should not require web developers to write JS hacks...

Cheers,
Ben

--
Ben Weiner | http://readingtype.org.uk/about/contact.html