Re: position of baseline relative to em square

From: Erik van der Poel <erik@netscape.com>
Date: Wed, 01 Dec 1999 12:53:55 -0800
To: Chris Lilley <chris@w3.org>
CC: www-font@w3.org
Chris Lilley wrote:

> Nick Nussbaum wrote:
> >
> > Note that characters actually are aligned optically to the baseline. See
> > http://www.microsoft.com/typography/developers/fdsspec/default.htm
> > for a nice discussion of some of the complexities.
> > If you had to choose one, it would be better to use Em Square rather than
> > Bounding box. Bounding box means that two fonts of the same typeface  with
> > different character sets might  align differently because one had Uppercase
> > accents.
>
> Yes.

Chris, please correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought CSS2 says that the
inline boxes within a line box are aligned according to the
vertical-align property, which defaults to "baseline". I.e. the text
across the line box would still be aligned to the baseline by default.

My question was about how to center text within its inline box. That is
quite different from the question of how to align inline boxes within
their line box.

What am I missing?

Erik