Re: position of baseline relative to em square

At 10:11 AM -0800 11/30/99, Erik van der Poel wrote:

>I'd like some opinions. Do any of you believe that CSS should specify
>that text should be centered in its inline box according to the font's
>em square? Or should it be centered with respect to its bounding box?

My vote's for em square. I think this will more likely produce
"optically centered" results than bounding box.

www-font regulars: this thread adjoins a discussion in www-style,
"font-size and accents, again", which has perhaps suffered from lack
of font-tech smarts. You might wish to review the archives and help
rescue CSS-2 from certain vagaries.

--
Todd Fahrner