Re: Freedom for Fonts

Michael Emmel wrote at 09/02/98 7:09 pm

>Bill McCoy wrote:
>
>> Mike, I think *you* are missing the real problem. It's not proprietary
>> technology, it's protection of intellectual property (an issue not specific
>> to fonts, but exacerbated for fonts by the murky copyright status granted
>> to font programs).
>
>Why is it murky. I believe  computer fonts have been around for at least
>20-30
>years.
>That's a long time to not have the law clarified. I would think Adobe would
>/could push
>Congress for a standard set of laws.

It's murky because of US copyright laws, and because the US Copyright
Office chose to make conflicting and confusing policy statements about
the copyright status of font programs.

However, Adobe has just pursued a case through the courts, which it
emerged from victorious. Precedent has now been set that font programs
are now offered the same protection as any other software.

You can find the judgement in this case at:

     http://www.fontzone.com/reference/adobe_v_ssi_judgement.html

My understanding is this decision is binding on any other US court until
or unless it is appealed against successfully.

Typeface design is covered by design patent in the US, font programs and
type designs are covered by copyright elsewhere.

-- Clive