Re: Current Downloadable Font Status....

Clive Bruton wrote:

> The problem seems to be of the OS or the browser understanding what a
> point is, and that screen resolutions are variable (therefore
> compensating for that). Then everyone will get type the same size, but
> with different resolutions (effectively different pixel per em values)

Agreed.

>  No, at least I don't think so, the "non-font" is a font as much as
> any other font as far as the browser is concerned.

Correct.

> TrueDoc may be a font rendering technology (ie it has its own TrueType
> and Type 1 rasterisers),
> but PFRs are fonts, they are referenced and used *exactly* as fonts.

TrueDoc does not incorporate TrueType or Type1 rasterizers. It has a
rasterizer for it's own platform neutral data format. And you are right,
the PFRs do work like fonts, but only for viewing, and only when
referenced from a location created by someone with the original font.

> Looks in this case that the X represents the "Qu" glyph in Bernhard
> Modern Ext (expert set?), which you're failing to load for some
> reason, and I can't see at all since I'm using Navigator 3.01.

Clive- I would really like to encourage you to get Communicator and take
a look at the latest TrueDoc output. We implemented a *lot* of
enhancements in version 2.4 which was released earlier this year (and is
the version used in Communicator). Any demo you saw prior to April was
the previous version (and one infamous demo was actually based on the
version before _that_.)

We are committed to providing the best possible output, amd have put
considerable effort into improving the output quality in the last 12-18
months. We will continue to enhance the product in the future, and value
suggestions for future improvements.

    Brad Chase

    Bitstream Inc.
    617-497-6222